Sunday, January 24, 2010

Chicken Fried Steak, Tracy Style



This week kicked my butt. Granted, my schedule is not hard at work; it's the prep time and getting the family what they need so I can leave that is my problem. So, I spent a better part of the week stopping by Kroger (the Hebron location. Big KUDOS to them--the people who work there are REALLY great folks. Even the teenagers :) ) and getting prepared food for dinner on my way home from work.

So, here is my problem with cooking. Rick is allergic to fish, and does not really like too much chicken. I am not fond of pork. That does not leave a whole bunch of options or room for creativity, especially if one is trying to be somewhat healthy.

Yesterday. I had to be at WalMart on a Saturday afternoon. If you know me, you know this is akin to me sticking an olive fork in my eye for fun. I'm tired, I'm pushing my luck with a baby who has been good and happy for just a wee bit too long, and I have no idea what to get for some basic groceries. I started to browse the frozen foods, and found the little gem that I am going to write about today!

Fast Classics: Country Fried Chicken, Includes Country Gravy Mix

No matter how long I have lived in Kentucky, I still do not consider myself a southern gal. I do like southern-style food from my time in Texas. However, in my "old age", fried foods just agree with me less and less. And, again, anyone who knows me that I don't like things that don't agree with me :) [Note: that really WAS a joke! :) ]

Anyway, I know Rick likes chicken fried steak. As my Facebook info states, I avoid frying things as a general rule, because it tends to injure me. I also do not want to burn my new house down. So when I saw this pre-packaged promise of an easy dinner, I was very pleased.

Comments

It was extremely easy to make. Cook at 400 degrees for 10 minutes; flip the steaks, and cook for another 10 minutes. To make sure they were crispy, I actually did 11 minutes on each side. They turned out perfect!

The gravy mix that was included had easy directions, and I followed them to the letter. This was a mistake; the gravy that resulted was a little on the watery side. However, with some minor adjustments in the future (less water added), it will be perfect. I am told that some people like a more watery gravy. As I am not a frying guru, I just accepted this. I like a more heavy gravy, myself.

Grade

Despite the gravy, I am going to give this a 10/10! The steaks were delicious, and not salty like some frozen foods. They turned out a perfect "crispyness". The gravy was delicious, and can be modified for texture taste later. What makes me the most happy? I can make a nice dinner that would normally be fried, without all the mess or pain and with all the taste.

It retailed for about $6.50 for 5 steaks and the gravy mix. With the addition of the salad mix that I also bought, two people ate a nice dinner for around ten dollars.

Will definitely buy again!!

No comments:

Post a Comment