Friday, January 8, 2010

It's Resolved...Or Is It?



Alas, I did not think I would get to do two reviews in two days, but in the Life of Tracy, messes are a given. Given my extreme OCD, messes are the Kryptonite to my Mommyhood. Having two kids did not make me any saner, I woefully report. It just gave me more to do.

Ever vigilant of newer, more exciting and efficient methods of cleaning, I never really think to actually use the new products until I am in a bind...and then I am so much more heavily invested in the results. It's like betting on a new, unknown racehorse with 100-1 odds. I like to root for the underdog, and I don't let one loss in a race slow my faith.

On to the new adventure!

Resolve Spot Cleaner

It never goes to fail that kids want to get sick when you are your most tired or harried. This experiment was no exception.

Praying to all dieties that I would get the day off today, I was up watching late night television much later than I should have been. My son has decided to start rolling on his stomach in his sleep (a stomach sleeper like his Mama!), but this gives me the sinking worry of Bad Things to let him sleep that way. So, that kept me awake as well.

My head hit the pillow at an unseemly 2 am. At 4 am, I was awakened by a female whimper. This was new. I open one eye to see Grace, who is looking very scary.

"Mom," she poked me. "Mom, I have bad news."

What on earth could be so darn bad at 4 am? I wondered.

"What is it, baby?" I asked cautiously. Maybe Somali pirates were knocking at the door or something.

"I threw up. All over. I'm so sorry. Can you help me? I need to lay down," she jumbled.

I get up, knowing that vomit is the One Thing that gets me. I can handle any bodily fluid, just not that. She goes downstairs to lie down and I go survey the damage.

I regret referring to Linda Blair yesterday, as the sight that I beheld was quite Exorcist-like. The kind of mess that you have to walk away from in the immediate moment, because you just have to step back and gather your thoughts about it. Yes, that bad. If my own knees were not buckling, I would have been impressed.

Any parent knows that the other Rule of Vomit is that your child will not throw up until they have eaten something colorful. This was no exception. I will, however, spare you the details. It is pertinent to this conversation, however, as it presented a new challenge in the cleaning experiment.

Stomach virii present in three forms: solid, liquid, and gas. I was presented with the first two immediately. Then, I remembered the Resolve Spot Cleaner that I had under the sink. Woo hoo, I thought. At least this will give me something to write about. It cheered me somewhat, and gave me a welcome distraction.

The Foray Into Resolution

I know the package reads "Spot Cleaner" but it did not really explain just how big or bad the spots needed to be in the general directions. It only cautioned me to leave the cleaner on for longer if the stain was particularly bad. I had some areas that were truly spots. I had a large area, which could have technically been a large spot. Then I had a mish-mosh of moderate sized spots. It was like a cow skin design, only it was on my poor carpet. Again, I would have been impressed if I was not becoming faint, and quickly becoming ill from the scent of the cleaner. (Yes, I did do a spot test as the label instructed. I haven't even paid off this carpet yet; I'm going to follow directions, darn it!)

The small spots came out as directed. This was good news. Emboldened by my success (and also wanting to be scientific-like, so I could sound impressive when I write), I moved on to the moderate sized stains. These took a little bit more elbow grease, but I had success yet again.

Last, and definitely NOT least, was the Very Big Spot. I cannot say I did anything but douse that spot with the Spot Cleaner. I waited about 7 minutes, and then cautiously began to scrub as directed. The previously white, fluffy, and foamy Spot Cleaner took on the color of its target and I felt a little victorious, if not more nauseated.

I cheated a little and got the vac out to see what would come up. About 35% of the stain came up. More good news! But, that Very Big Stain still looked very angry, and I swear it was mocking me.

I added more Spot Cleaner, covered it with a towel, and opened the window to air out the room, which was starting to take on the smell of a medical lab. I then went to work.

Final Result

The small and moderate stains were a distant memory. I was actually kind of pleased at myself for covering the Very Big Stain, as uncovering it was like a game on Price Is Right. Did you guess how much Spot Cleaner to use? Actual retail price is...bzzzzzt!

It was not spot cleaned. It was actually much, much better, but that memory was still here, haunting me. I would estimate the improvement to be about 65%. However, the area was still a bit damp, and I knew it would fade a little more.

Grade

7/10. I realize that my spot was a Very Big Spot. I will give it credit for that. It DID improve, and I am sure that further applications would serve to improve it more. It got out the true, what-most-people-would-call-spots. So, it works!

So, why the 7/10? The smell is horrific. Coupled with the contents of the stains, I was ready to pass out. I'm going to try the Super Oxygen Cleaner from the Dollar Tree in my next application. No smell.

Would buy again! Watch the Sunday papers, they have been putting $1.00 or more coupons in there.

1 comment:

  1. I've considered using this product but I have been having pretty good luck with OxyClean.

    ReplyDelete